Friday, June 24, 2011

News: Bramall's 80 years in Rotherham


Bramall Construction was launched as a general contractor in 1931 by George Bramall and Dick Ogden as General Building Contractors and were based at Gore Hill in Wath upon Dearne, Rotherham.

The company's first job was to replace privy middons with mains drainage for toilets out in the back yards of terraced houses for Wath Urban District Council.

During the war the company worked on repairing the damage caused by bombs in York and Southampton and began to work with the public sector to build new council houses in the post-war construction boom.

Terry Bramall joined the business in 1968 and the Bramall family bought Dick Ogden's share of the company from his widow, Nancy, making Bramall and Ogden a limited company.

In the early 1970s it produced a conservatory for Kew Gardens which was built in South Yorkshire and transported to London and made the pews for the church at Windsor Castle.

The company bought premises on Station Road, Mexborough and moved the head office in 1973. The site at Gore Hill was kept as a joiner's shop - it took in raw timber and made everything for new houses including kitchens, windows, door frames, skirting and roof trusses.

In 1980 Bramall and Ogden became Bramall Construction Ltd and the management teams from Bramall and Doncaster company Frank Halsim Milan formed the parent company - Keepmoat in 1983.

As part of the Keepmoat Group, Bramall expanded and opened offices throughout the UK and moved into new headquarters on the Callflex Business Park, Manvers.

For 2009/2010 the company enjoyed a turnover of £570m and managed an impressive 43,500 refurbished and new homes for social rent - one home every three minutes.

Bramall website

Images: Bramall


Supported by:
More news...

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by 2008

Back to TOP