Thursday, October 22, 2015

News: New Nuclear AMRC director welcomes Hinkley investment

By

The new managing director of the Nuclear Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (Nuclear AMRC) has welcomed the announcement of £6bn of Chinese investment that should signal the start of construction on the UK's newest nuclear power station at Hinkley in Somerset.

With state of the art facilities on the Advanced Manufacturing Park (AMP) in Rotherham, the £25m Nuclear AMRC is a joint initiative with industry, The University of Sheffield and The University of Manchester's Dalton Nuclear Institute, and is designed to help build and enhance the UK's civil nuclear new build industry.

Andrew Storer, previously the programme director for Rolls-Royce's civil nuclear business for the past six years, has recently been appointed as managing director at the Nuclear AMRC. The appointment comes at a crucial time for the industry as over 60% of the Hinkley Point project value will be spent in the UK, developer EDF says.

China General Nuclear Power Corporation (CGN) will invest £6 billion for a 33.5% stake in the Hinkley Point C project. EDF retains the remaining 66.5% of the project. The French group said it intends to bring other investors into the project, but will retain a majority stake.

Andrew Storer, managing director of the Nuclear AMRC (pictured), said: "This is great news for the nuclear industry. We need Hinkley Point to move forwards to help kickstart the UK's new build programme across a range of potential developers and technologies. This announcement is a really important step in the process of launching the Hinkley Point project, and a fantastic achievement for the EDF team.

"The new build programme will create a great stimulus and help secure skills and capability across our industry, not just in new build.

"It's been a long time coming, but the supply chain has been using the time to get ready for Hinkley Point and the other potential projects. We now need to see a final investment decision that enables further contracts to be placed, and the work we've been doing with the supply chain to be put into action."

The Nuclear AMRC works with UK manufacturers along the supply chain to help them become more competitive, including focused supplier development support through the Fit For Nuclear and Civil Nuclear Sharing in Growth programmes.

The appointment of a new MD allows Nuclear AMRC chief executive officer Mike Tynan to focus on strategic issues including the Nuclear AMRC’s role in supporting development of small modular reactors (SMRs) for the UK market, and enhanced support for manufacturing clusters close to the UK’s new build sites in Somerset, North Wales and West Cumbria.

Tynan said: "Andy's appointment is a tremendous boost for Nuclear AMRC at a time when it is crucial that we fully support UK companies in their drive to compete for work in the global civil nuclear market.

"Andy Storer brings unique experience to lead efforts at Nuclear AMRC to assist UK suppliers and developers. Andy is an established nuclear industry professional with an excellent track record in the complex environment of nuclear supplier development, government support and industrial application. He will be a valuable asset to the Nuclear AMRC and will further strengthen our ability to support UK industry."

Nuclear AMRC website

Images: EDF / Nuclear AMRC

0 comments:

Sponsored by:
Members:
Supported by:
More news...

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP