Wednesday, March 5, 2014

News: Brinsworth Academy supporting a new era

By

The Brinsworth Academy of Engineering in Rotherham has further developed its Employer Ready Apprenticeship (ERA) Framework.

The new ERA apprenticeship programme was developed in South Yorkshire and is designed to create a highly skilled breed of young engineers. The Templeborough training company took matters into its own hands, after local manufacturing and engineering employers advised that they were finding it extremely difficult to recruit skilled staff of the right calibre.

In response to input from local employers, the leading engineering and manufacturing training provider has updated the framework that provides 42 weeks of off the job training for apprentices in skills of machining and maintenance.

The apprentices, who are on average between 16 and 21 years of age, can now join the programme at differing points throughout the year, in order to fit with the increasing demands of production that is facing many of the employers in the sector.

Daniel Swift, employer engagement manager at Brinsworth Academy of Engineering, said: "We came up with this new model to cater for the needs of employers who want to have apprentices joining their business at any point during the year. The programme now has a staggered start throughout the year with courses starting every month as opposed to the traditional annual academic start in September. The content has been refreshed and new teaching methods have been applied in order to create a blended learning experience for the apprentice."

The programme covers machining (turning, manual, CNC, AutoCAD) and maintenance (mechanical and electrical). Both courses include health and safety and engineering principles. In contrast to other traditional study centres 80% of the time is spent on machines in the workshop with the remaining 20% spent on classroom based work.

Orchid Orthopedic Solutions (Sheffield) Ltd, which took over Sandvik's European Centre of Excellence in Rotherham, have worked with Brinsworth Academy of Engineering since 2006 and are one of the companies taking part in the programme. HR Manager, Julie Edwards said: "As a business we see apprentices as the future of our business and want to ensure they learn skills which translate into the workplace. We currently employ two people on the ERA course and find the structure of the course means that the apprentice is able to learn advanced skills which add value to the Company as soon as they commence work on site."

Brinsworth Academy of Engineering website
Orchid Orthopedics website

Images: Brinsworth Academy of Engineering

0 comments:

Sponsored by:
Members:
Supported by:
More news...

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP