Tuesday, October 27, 2015

News: Flats plan for historic industrial building

By

Part of the former Effingham Works on the edge of Rotherham town centre could be converted into flats under new plans.

The relocation of Rotherham retailer, Fosters Cycles, saw part of the building go up for auction at the start of 2015 with a guide price of £100,000. The 10,000 sq ft property sold afterwards.

Now plans have been submitted from local developers, Empire Property Concepts, that would enable a change of use for the upper floors of the property to be converted into houses in multiple occupation (HMO).

The plans, drawn up by consultants at DLP Planning, state that the ground floor would remain as retail/commercial use with the two upper floors split into two HMO flats comprising of ten bedrooms in each and an open plan kitchen/dining/lounge communal area. Each bedroom would be en-suite.

Designated as a mixed use area in planning terms, a number of measures are proposed to mitigate against impact of any noise from the adjacent glass recycling and manufacturing facility.

Applicants, Empire Property Concepts Ltd has been in operation since 2009 and has successfully acquired and developed property for HMO rental for the company and clients.

The three storey property makes up a large portion of the former Effingham Works, a rare surviving piece of industrial architecture in Rotherham. The imposing building was built in 1855 for stove grate manufacturers, Yates and Haywood, in front and around their original building. It was reputed at the time it was built to be the largest factory of its kind in the world.

James Yates trained as a model-maker for the famous Walker family but in 1823 he took over the Walkers' Foundry business and went into partnership with Charles Samuel Roberts Sandford at the Phoenix Works. The partnership was dissolved in 1838 and Yates took the Rotherham Foundry which specialised in stove grate work. He also acquired the premises of the Masbrough Flax Works upon the site of which the Effingham Works was later erected.

Yates remained on his own until 1846 when George Haywood and John Drabble were taken into partnership and the company took the name Yates, Haywood and Co. Having received considerable praise for their work at the Great Exhibition of 1851 in Hyde Park, the firm went on to prosper from its new premises. In the end, the company was taken over by William Heaton Holdings Ltd in 1967 and closed down in 1970.

The building has since been home to a number of uses including, retail and trade counters, a printers, a nightclub and a dance studio.

Empire Property Concepts website

Images: Mark Jenkinson & Son

0 comments:

Sponsored by:
Members:
Supported by:
More news...

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP